2007-11-16

Shut up and drive

Driving here is an experience in it self. Road signs are a recommendation, not something you live by strictly. Do not be surprised if you meet somebody driving the wrong way on a one way street. Reverse driving on the highway is not a problem. Somebody is driving against a red light, no problem as long as there isn't any Cops around.

U-turns are a problem though... usually you have to drive for 1-4 kilometers before you can make the U-turn.

Bikers swarm like wasps around your car. I can not say if these bikes are mopeds or motorcycles, but they are on two wheels with an engine and they drive "Like a bat out of h*ll". I do not know how many of them die a day, but my guess is that is has to be a one to two digit number. One has to lookout so one do not run one over while changing lanes.

People talk a lot about the traffic jams here, but they are not as bad as in London.

Shut up and drive is song that is on the hit-list here in Malaysia. I hear it constantly on the car radio, that is when I shut up and drive.

PS. I think my brother had a bigger problem driving in Hanoi (15 years ago). He had bikes of all kind shooting of in all directions.